CorrectionsOne Article Guidelines for Authors
Before sending an article idea or manuscript to CorrectionsOne, review these important author guidelines
Thanks for your interest in contributing an article to CorrectionsOne.com, the leading news and information website for corrections.
CorrectionsOne welcomes fellow corrections professionals who can clearly and concisely communicate concepts and ideas through the written word. We also promote healthy and respectful discussion about topics within the industry. Check out our topic sections, product categories and most recent columnist articles for insights and ideas of the topics, products and themes we regularly cover.
Publication on CorrectionsOne.com is the best way for correctional facility leaders, line supervisors, training officers and corrections personnel to reach the largest audience of correctional officers in the United States.
Articles are distributed by eNewsletter, social channels and optimized for search engine discovery and ranking. Many of our authors cite their published articles on CorrectionsOne as important to receiving conference speaking invites, work recognition and growing a professional network.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE PROPOSAL TO correctionsONE
Before you submit an article, please send an email to the CorrectionsOne editor. For each article you are proposing include:
- Working title for the article;
- 2-3 sentence description of the article;
- Bullet list of key points;
- Date article will be submitted by.
Include in the proposal, if not recently sent, an up-to-date resume or CV.
We regularly consider article proposals for:
- Analysis and opinion pieces on current events and breaking news;
- Recaps of events or programs;
- Analysis of police-related research;
- Human-interest articles;
- Product, movie or book reviews;
- Process explainers – training, purchasing, leading teams, etc.;
- Tips and best practices;
- Incident reports;
- Essays, poems, illustrations and cartoons.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN ARTICLE FOR REVIEW TO correctionsONE
If a site editor accepts your proposed article idea(s), review and follow these important specifications for submission style and format. As you consider the format for your article, readers respond well to tips, resources, best practices and lists.
CorrectionsOne article specifications:
- Contributions must be unique and original writing that has not been previously submitted to other publications.
- Each submission should be between 800 to 2,000 words submitted as a Microsoft Word or Google document.
- Format text as Arial font, 12-point, single-space with breaks between paragraphs and one space after periods.
With your submission, please include:
- A list of references in a publication-ready format at the end of the document. If a URL is available for the reference, please provide.
- Include original photo(s) of related procedures or equipment with your submission.
- Include a 3-5 sentence author biography.
ARTICLE EDITING AND REVISION BEFORE PUBLICATION
If the CorrectionsOne editorial team determines the article matches the proposal, and meets our editorial needs and interests of readers, the editors will edit the document. In most cases, the edited document will be returned to you for approval of edits and required changes. After you return a revised document back to us, we will perform a final review and prepare the article for posting to CorrectionsOne and schedule promotion to registered CorrectionsOne members.
Finally, our regular columnists generally start as contributors. Based on the performance and quality of contributor submissions, we will consider bringing on a writer as a regular columnist.