Inmate who shot W.Va. cop while trying to escape hospital arraigned

During a struggle, Bryan Lee Ogle II pulled the officer's gun from its holster and fired two shots

By Carlee Lammers
The Charleston Gazette, W.Va.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — An inmate who allegedly shot a Charleston police officer at Charleston Area Medical Center Saturday has been charged with multiple felonies and was arraigned in Kanawha County Magistrate Court Sunday.

Bryan Lee Ogle II, 31, was being treated at CAMC and guarded by Montgomery patrolman John Perrine Saturday. Ogle was arrested after a high-speed pursuit in Montgomery Thursday.

According to a criminal complaint, the Montgomery officer guarding Ogle allowed him to use the restroom. Ogle was able to escape the bathroom through an adjoining door with the room next to his and left the floor he was being held on through a stairwell.

The Montgomery police officer, Charleston police and CAMC security staff began searching for Ogle, according to the complaint.

Ogle, who is from Sevierville, Tennessee, was able to access the basement floor of the hospital, where he was spotted by a CAMC security officer.

The officer tried to apprehend Ogle, according to the complaint, but Ogle began to attempt to gouge the officer’s eyes. Ogle struck the officer on his right eyebrow, causing a laceration and other eye injuries. Ogle was able to escape from the security officer, the complaint states.

Shortly after, Perrine found Ogle hiding under a piece of plastic at the bottom of a stairwell outside in an alley behind the hospital’s emergency room. Charleston police patrolman Harshbarger joined Perrine, and the two went down the staircase together to take Ogle into custody, the complaint said.

While being escorted up the stairs, police said Ogle “began to actively resist officers,” forcing Perrine to fall down the steps and hit his head. As a result of the fall, Perrine suffered a brain bleed, the complaint said.

Harshbarger continued to struggle with Ogle, and the two eventually fell to the ground, the complaint said.

At that time, Ogle pulled Perrine’s gun from its holster and fired two shots. The first shot struck Harshbarger in his duty belt near the buckle. The second bullet struck the door in the stairwell, according to the complaint.

Harshbarger suffered bruising on his waist from being shot and a laceration to the head from his struggle with Ogle, according to the complaint. Harshbarger’s head injury required staples, the complaint states.

Ogle was originally arrested by Montgomery Police Thursday evening after leading them on a high-speed pursuit.

Montgomery police began pursuing a gray Honda passenger car with Tennessee plates after a Montgomery resident reported an assault and possible kidnapping.

Ogle, who was driving the vehicle, did not pull over for police despite several attempts to stop him. He was “very reckless” through multiple residential and business areas, failing to stop at intersections and reaching speeds of 110 mph in a 35 mph zone, according to the complaint.

Ogle attempted to turn onto Fayette Pike toward Morris Drive in Montgomery, police said, but he lost control and struck a hill on the side of the road.

At that time, a Montgomery officer exited his vehicle and approached Ogle’s driver-side door, the complaint said. At that time, Ogle put the car in reverse and struck a utility pole, stopping his car. The complaint stated Ogle then attempted to rev his engine and try to strike the officer, however the vehicle would not move.

Perrine joined the other officer on scene, and Ogle exited the vehicle and began to flee from the officers on foot.

The complaint states Ogle crossed W.Va. 61, but police were able to catch up with him. The first officer attempted to take him into custody, but Ogle began punching him in the face and mouth. The officer was able to get Ogle on the ground, but he continued to resist, punching and biting the officer, the complaint states.

Ogle told police he “had a gun,” police said, and began reaching toward his right side as if he were reaching for a holster.

Police then used a stun gun on Ogle to try to gain control of him, but they said it was ineffective.

Ogle continued to aggressively fight with officer, kicking them and damaging one of their mobile phones, the complaint states.

At one point, Ogle reached for one of the officer’s firearm and began “aggressively pulling it,” the complaint states.

Police were able to gain control of Ogle, and he released his grip from the officer’s firearm. Once Ogle was in handcuffs, officers recovered a Smith & Wesson handgun in a holster on his belt, according to the complaint.

Ogle had a suspended Tennessee driver’s license for a DUI and had multiple other convictions, police said. He was driving a stolen vehicle from Tennessee with stolen license plates belonging to another vehicle.

Ogle has felony arrest warrants out of Tennessee and is a convicted felon who is prohibited from possessing firearms, police said.

He faces several charges, including attempted murder, wanton endangerment, unlawful assault of a law-enforcement officer, unlawful obstruction of a law-enforcement officer, attempting to disarm a law-enforcement officer, fleeing from an officer, escape, possession of a stolen vehicle and being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm.

He was being held Sunday at South Central Regional Jail on a $500,000 cash-only bond.

©2018 The Charleston Gazette (Charleston, W.Va.)

McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Recommended for you

Join the discussion

Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved.