Deputy Sheriff & Lateral
Riverside County Sheriff's Department - Riverside, California
- Application Deadline:
APPLY NOW: http://www.joinrsd.org/deputy/
$28.39 - $47.54 hourly
$59,046 - $98,881 annually
A deputy sheriff will perform a wide variety of law enforcement functions:
- Patrol assigned beat areas
- Investigate criminal acts and arrest criminal offenders
- Enforce state laws and local ordinances and provide traffic enforcement
- Serve and administer civil and criminal documents
- Prepare police reports and ensure the safe storage of held property and/or evidence
- Testify in court
- Work on special enforcement details
- Transport prisoners
- Build relationships among local communities
Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance: A choice of different medical, dental and visions plan are available to elect through the RSA Benefit Trust. The County provides a monthly Flexible Benefit Credit contribution to the RSA Benefit Trust on behalf of each RSA member as governed by the applicable RSA Memorandum of Understanding towards the cost of these plans.
County of Riverside has three retirement Tiers through the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS).
- Tier I - Applicable to employees hired prior to 08/23/2012. Formula is 3% @ 50. Employee contribution is 9%.
- Tier II - Applicable to employees hired on or after 08/23/2012 through 12/31/2012. Formula is 2% @ 50. Employee contribution is 9%.
- Tier III - Applicable to new CalPERS membership hired on or after 01/01/2013 as a result of Public Employees' Pension Reform Act of 2013 (PEPRA). Formula is 2.7% @ 57. Employee contribution is 10.75%.
Note: This summary is for general information purposes only. If you have prior service credit with another agency or within agencies, please contact CalPERS at (888) 225-7377 to determine which retirement Tier you would be eligible.
Voluntary employee contribution with a choice between two 457 deferred compensation plan options (Nationwide or VALIC). Employees may contribute bi-weekly deduction up to the annual maximum on a pre-tax basis as governed under IRS regulations.
*Vacation Accrual (Bi-Weekly Accrual):
- 0 through 3 years = 80 Hours (10 Days)
- 4 through 9 years = 120 Hours (15 Days)
- 10 or more years = 160 Hours (20 Days)
- *Maximum Vacation leave accumulation is 700 hours.
Sick Leave: Four (4) hours Sick leave accrual per pay period with unlimited accrual.
Holidays: Normally 12 paid holidays per year. The actual dates of County holidays are set by governing MOU language.
- Age: 20 years 9 months at the start of the academy
- Education: Graduation from high school, or attainment of a satisfactory score on a G.E.D. test, or possession of a Certificate of Proficiency issued by the California State Board of Education.
- Experience: See below
Application & Selection Process
Application and selection of candidates is based upon successful completion of a series of assessments including, but not limited to:
- Online Pre-Screen Questionnaire- www.joinrsd.org
- Written Examination (waived for lateral’s)
- Physical Agility Test (PAT) (waived for lateral’s)
- Completion of a Background Packet
- Extensive Background Investigation
- Polygraph Examination (optional for lateral’s)
- Pre-Employment Psychological Assessment
- Medical Examination, including a pre-employment drug & alcohol screening
*Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all of the steps listed above.
Veteran's Preference Points: Candidates may bring in a copy of their DD-214 form on the date of their Written Examination.
The PAT consists of:
- Sit-ups: A minimum of 25 sit-ups must be completed within 60 seconds.
- Push-ups: A minimum of 20 push-ups must be completed within 60 seconds.
- 1 ½ mile run: The run must be completed within 15 minutes and 30 seconds, with no stopping or walking. The run is conducted on an oval-shaped, dirt track.
Background Investigation: Candidates will be assigned a background investigator once their completed packet has been received. The assigned investigator will contact the candidate via telephone or USPS mail service, informing them of their status in the selection process.
Human Resources/ Recruiting Unit