Detention Deputy Recruit
Pinellas County Sheriff's Office - Largo, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level:
- $39,220 annual
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is looking for the best and brightest individuals who want to help their community and make a positive difference in people's lives. Our goal is to provide the highest level of professional public service to the wide range of ethnic and culturally diverse groups that make up Pinellas County. A career with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office offers: challenge, excitement, variety, teamwork, job satisfaction, opportunities for special assignments, career development, opportunities for promotion/advancement, and excellent salary and benefits. We do not hire persons who use tobacco products, and require a “no tobacco use” by applicants for a six-month period prior to application and during length of employment.
++The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office is in the 1% of sheriff's offices nationwide to have received the Triple Crown Award for accreditation.++ This prestigious award recognizes agencies that have achieved accreditation from three separate accreditation agencies: Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc. (CALEA), the American Correctional Association (ACA), and the National Commission on Correctional Healthcare (NCCHC). Additionally, the agency is accredited by the ANSI National Accreditation Board (ANAB) for the forensic inspection activities performed by the AFIS Division (Latent Unit), Forensic Sciences Division, and the Forensic Imaging Unit, and by the Airborne Public Safety Association (APSA) for activities performed by the Flight Unit.
This position participates in the Detention and Corrections Academy sponsored by Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office. During such time, members are required to maintain education and performance standards in all areas of training as defined by St. Petersburg College and Southeastern Public Safety Institute (SEPSI) in conjunction with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). Upon successful completion of the academy and receiving a passing score on the state exam, Detention Deputy Recruits will continue recruit training in high liability functions at the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office. Position requires the member to work on rotating shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays.
After successful completion of the academy and state exam, salary increases to $48,758.00
All applicants must meet all qualifications necessary to become a student at St. Petersburg College (SPC).
If you have been a prior SPC student and were placed on academic probation, expelled, or have outstanding debt, you must address and resolve those issues with SPC.
* High school graduation or equivalent diploma from an institution accredited by an accrediting body recognized by the U. S. Dept. of Education or licensed as a degree granting institution by the Commission for Independent Education, pursuant to Section 1005.02(7), F.S.
* Attainment of previous college credits from a regionally accredited college that includes Comp I
* OR successfully pass the PERT administered by St. Petersburg College
* Pass the Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test for Corrections (CJBAT)
* Pass the Police Officer's Selection Test administered by Human Resources
* Pass the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office new hire physical assessment
* Successful completion of basic Detention Deputy training as required by the State of Florida
* Upon completion of training must obtain certification by the Florida Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission as authorized by F.S.S. 943.13
* Must have a valid Florida Driver's License T
he Corrections Academy is 12-13 weeks long - must be flexible with their schedule to complete this.
A 12 hour shift schedule will be required upon completion of the academy.
- Age: 19
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D
- Experience: n/a
Applicants must be tobacco/nicotine free for six months prior to submitting application and during length of employment.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office strives to provide our employees with the best benefits possible. Some of the benefits are Annual Leave (120 hours), Health Insurance, Wellness Incentives, and Education Assistance Program.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is an EEO/ADA employer and is committed to being a drug free workplace.
Please visit our website at https://www.pcsoweb.com/administration/human-resources/current-openings#CurrentOpenings for additional information and how to apply.