Calhoun County Sheriff - MI - Battle Creek, Michigan
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level:
- $18.21 hourly
- Top Pay:
- $25.30 hourly
Under the command of the Chief Deputy, Captain and direct supervision of a Lieutenant or Sergeant – Corrections Officers perform a variety of duties to ensure safety and security of the Calhoun County Correctional Facility Complex.
Responsibilities include supervision and control of inmates within the housing Units, corridors and work areas at the Calhoun County Correctional Center. Enforces rules of conduct, assists in averting riots and escapes through routine inspections.
MAJOR WORK CHARACTERISTICS
- Ability to communicate effectively through verbal interaction with the public, inmates and co-workers.
- Possess basic writing and grammar skills to complete intelligible reports.
- Possess ability to multi-task while maintaining awareness of surroundings in high stress environments.
- Exercise independent judgment within legal guidelines, when supervising inmates and enforcing Rules.
- Ability to enforce rules of conduct and security, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraint equipment.
- Routinely conducts inspections of their area of control by climbing stairs and walking long halls.
- Inspects housing areas, dormitories, jail grounds, work locations and other facilities for unauthorized objects or materials. Requires ability to stoop, bend or kneel on concrete floors.
- Twelve hour shifts with every other weekend off.
- Paid Time Off: Accrues bi-weekly @ 8.89 hours (5.5 weeks). Increase after five years.
- Retirement: Pension - MERS (B4) Retire at age 50 w/25 yrs service.
Full-Time, Non-Exempt. 12 hour shifts. Every other weekend off.
- Age: 18
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience: Not Required
High School Diploma or GED. No Felony convictions and must possess a valid Michigan Driver’s License. Must be a US Citizen. Ability to comply with all Michigan Sheriff’s Coordinating and Training Council (MSCTC) standards. http://www.sherifftrainingcouncil.org/hiringstandard.html
It is the candidates’ responsibility to pay for the physical fitness examination, as required through the Michigan Sheriff’s Coordinating and Training Council prior to employment consideration. Please visit www.empco.net/msa/ for testing dates and sites, or contact the Michigan Sheriff’s Coordinating & Training Council.
- Successful Completion of the Local Corrections Officer Physical Ability Test (LCOPAT) ++http://misctc.org++
- Successful Completion of the MSCTC written examination proctored by EMPCO ++https://www.empco.net/msctc/reg++
- Ability to successfully complete (160) Local Corrections Officer Academy