Buncombe County Sheriff's Office - Asheville, North Carolina
May 21, 2020
- Application Deadline:
- Jul 30, 2020
- Entry Level:
- $$18.87 - $19.73 hourly
An employee in this class is responsible for performing a variety of duties pertaining to the safety, detention and security of inmates in the custody of the County Detention Facility. Considerable tact and firmness are required in frequent contacts with the general public, court personnel and law enforcement agencies. The employee is required to exercise alertness and some independent judgment in dealing with both critical situations. Work is performed in accordance with specific instructions and established detention operation policies and procedures. The employee is subject to the usual hazards of inmate management associated with the operation of a detention facility. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Shift Supervisor and on-the-job training is conducted by an assigned Detention Field Training Officer (DFTO).
++Essential Functions of the Position++
- Admits inmates to the County Detention Facility; searches and processes inmates; secures personal belongings of inmates for safekeeping and advises inmates of all facility rules and regulations.
- Conducts supervision rounds and inspects their cells and common areas to ensure cleanliness and sanitation; supervises inmates engaged in daily cleaning of the housing unit and other activities such as meal service.
- Arranges for inmates to have weekly visits with family and friends; documents inmate movement as well as conducting searches of inmates and property for contraband; checks incoming and outgoing mail for contraband.
- Supervises inmates during the administering of medicines and sick call by medical staff; notifies medical of emergencies and oversees the general welfare of inmates.
- Patrols entire detention facility conducting intermittent supervision rounds to prevent escapes and maintain order.
- Maintains various forms and completes computer entries to update and document the inmates file while in custody.
++Education and Experience: ++Graduation from high school; or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
++Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities++
- Possess some knowledge of practices and procedures involved in inmate management.
- Some knowledge of local laws, ordinances and the North Carolina General Statutes pertaining to the commitment and confinement of inmates.
- Possess the ability to maintain discipline and order of inmates.
- Possess ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to maintain courteous and tactful relationships with families of inmates, attorneys, ministers and other persons concerned with the welfare of individual inmates.
- Must possess the ability to take prompt and effective action during detention facility emergencies.
To Apply Visit:__ https://www.buncombecounty.org/jobs
Full time benefited position. Night shift is paid a shift differential pay of 5%..MISSION STATEMENT: The Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office is a professional, service oriented law enforcement agency. We are dedicated to improving the quality of life of everyone in Buncombe County by utilizing the highest degree of integrity and professionalism at every level, making certain that we lead by example, treat all persons with dignity, and hold ourselves accountable to the highest possible standards. GUIDING PRINCIPLES: Service, Accountability, Professionalism, Integrity, Dignity.
- Age: 21+
- Education: G.E.D. or High School Diploma
- Experience: Entry Level
++Special Requirements:++ Upon hiring certification as a jailer by the North Carolina Sheriff's Training and Standards Commission must be completed in one year. Must be 21 years of age.