Delaware Department of Corrections - Dover, Delaware
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $35,000.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $40,000.00 annual
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Supervises inmates within a security location by making counts at specified time periods to assure inmate location and custody, conducting searches and shakedowns for prohibited items and contraband, escorting inmates to and from activities, work assignments and other locations and unlocking and locking doors to control passage of inmates, employees and visitors.
- Observes inmate activities to detect unusual or prohibited behavior which may be a threat to the security of the facility or the safety of the inmate, other inmates, employees or visitors.
- Operates central security control room regulating telephone, public address, electronic communication, key control, and inmate, employee, and visitor movement throughout the institution.
- Patrols outside perimeter of a secured facility by auto, on foot or in the tower to insure all areas are secure. Regularly checks all buildings and equipment outside the compound for security, fire, maintenance or other hazards. Reports post location to the control center by use of hand radio and apprehends and/or detains persons not authorized on or off grounds.
- Transports and is responsible for the custody and care of inmates outside the institution.
- Oversees dining hall during the serving of food and feeding of inmates.
- Processes inmates into and out of the institution.
- Opens and distributes mail, searching for contraband.
- Prepares and maintains daily log and prepares various reports of activities, and incidents on the assigned shift.
- May be required to train and care for K-9 including feeding, grooming and kennel maintenance.
- May enter institution as backup in riot control and shakedown activities. May participate in the pursuit of escapees.
Selected incumbent’s annual base salary is $35,380.00. Upon successful completion of the Correctional Employee Initial Training (CEIT) course, and being assigned to a facility, the salary will increase to $40,000 and is eligible for a 5% shift differential (SD) for incumbents who work four or more hours of work between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. the following day to be added to the annual base salary.
Prior to institutional assignment, candidates must successfully complete all phases of an eleven-week Correctional Officer Basic Course. This course is administered by the Department of Correction at the Employee Development Center. Coursework includes physical, classroom and hands-on training. Instruction is provided in the areas of inmate supervision, defensive tactics, riot control, weapons, report writing and emergency medical training.
The Correctional Employee Initial Training (CEIT) program is approved by the Veterans Administration of Delaware State Approving Authority for the training of Veterans.
Employees in a qualifying Correctional Officer (CO) series position will be eligible to retire after completing twenty-five (25) years of pension creditable State service, with at least twenty (20) of those years of pension creditable service in a CO series classified position at the time of retirement.
Addition Benefits: http://ben.omb.delaware.gov/
- Age: At least 19 and 1/2 years of age
- Education: Possession of a high School Diploma or equivalent
- Experience: None
Possession of a valid Driver's License ( not suspended, revoked, or cancelled, or disqualified from driving )
DOC: For admission to the State of Delaware Department of Correction Academy applicants who are made a conditional offer of employment shall be required to successfully complete a criminal background check, physical ability test to demonstrate fitness for duty, an approved psychological examination, pre-employment drug test and medical examination. The recruiting agency requires the applicant to pay for the medical examination as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Union: As a condition of accepting employment, the person selected for this position shall join and pay dues to the labor organization or may, instead not join but pay a service fee no greater than the dues. The labor organization has been elected by employees as their representative for collective bargaining and other work related purposes.
As a condition of accepting employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide valid proof of a current baseline TB skin test within 60 days of hire.