SHASTA COUNTY, Calif. — A 60-year-old Happy Valley area man remains today in Shasta County jail in lieu of $3 million bail after being arrested late last month on suspicion of repeatedly molesting two children from 1997- 2003.
The two alleged victims are now 24 and 25 years old.
Joseph Ralph Mancuso, who has pleaded not guilty to the charges, is scheduled to have a preliminary hearing on June 27.
That hearing will determine whether there is sufficient evidence in the case to order him to stand trial.
Mancuso is charged with 41 counts of child molestation, including lewd or lascivious conduct with a child under age 14 and aggravated sexual assault of a child. He also is charged with a lengthy series of enhancements.
Mancuso has been ordered to stay away from the two alleged victims, as well as anyone under age 18, according to electronic court records.
Mancuso, who was arrested May 30, came to the attention of law enforcement earlier this year by the children's mother.
The mother told police she confronted Mancuso about the alleged molestations, and that he confessed to them, according to a sheriff's investigative report.
According to that report, the mother said her daughter told her of the alleged molestations in January 2011.
Asked why the daughter did not report the alleged molestations earlier, the mother said she had told her she considered doing so, but her brother, who is the other alleged victim, told her he would commit suicide if she did so.
Mancuso is suspected of repeatedly molesting two children from 1997-2003.